Thursday 13 September 2012

Fear of failure... and success!

Which is scarier the fear of failure, or the fear of success?

The fear of failure is understandable, after all, who wants to fail, right? That can put you right off trying altogether! Although I have recently read & come to believe that failure is only failure if you remain failed! A single failure actually becomes a stepping stone to success, IF you get back up & try again.

But why would we fear success? I think that can occur if we realise that success brings performance pressure, at least in our minds. One success = an achievement, but then we wonder, "was that a fluke, or can I do it again"... whatever "it" happens to be. A string of successes is even worse, then we’ve “proven” that we are successful - arghhh! That brings even more performance pressure... once you're at the top you've got to try to stay there!

I wouldn't know... I haven't succeeded yet... but it makes me wonder what it could/will be like... what do you think?

Of course us Christians can take comfort in the following scriptural promises from the Lord God, our loving eternally present Father in heaven...

1) Deuteronomy 31:6 (ANIV)
Moses speaking to Joshua on God’s behalf, ‘”Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them (opposing forces), for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." ‘

2) Philippians 4:13 (ANIV)
‘I can do everything through him who gives me strength.’
That includes failing & getting up again, & overcoming fear of both failure & success!

3) 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ANIV)
Paul writting to the Corinthian church, ‘But he [God] said to me [Paul], "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.’

I’m sure there are a LOT more scriptures which refer to success & failure in the Bible. But that last one is noteworthy... because it suggests that even if we fail, that’s OK, because we are weak... that’s just human nature. And God is able to shine gloriously, even through our weaknesses. In that sense, even the failures (as we perceive them) can be seen as successes, since our weaknesses promote & glorify God! So there isn’t really a failure in a Christian’s life! How cool is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment